The purpose of the Competition Act is to promote and maintain competition in the Republic in order:
- to promote the efficiency, adaptability and development of the economy;
- to provide consumers with competitive prices and product choices;
- to promote employment and advance the social and economic welfare of South Africans;
- to expand opportunities for South African participation in world markets and recognise the role of foreign competition in the Republic;
- to ensure that small and medium-sized enterprises have an equitable opportunity to participate in the economy; and
- to promote a greater spread of ownership, in particular to increase the ownership stakes of historically disadvantaged persons.